2015 has not only been huge, it has also gone extremely quickly! So, we thought we’d slow things down for a moment to reflect on the wonderful things that have happened.
THE YEAR THAT WAS:
A new piano: Voices of Birralee got back into the swing of rehearsals after a fantastic Christmas break and we kicked off the year on a high note with a beautiful baby grand piano bought from Kathy Sander. We have certainly put this to good use over the year!
Anzac Day Commemoration Trip: Our Voices of Birralee Anzac Commemoration Choir set to work from the end of January to get ready for their massive trip to France to perform in the World War One commemorative services on the Western Front, including Villers-Bretonneux and Bullecourt!
The choristers did such an exceptional job that Voices of Birralee is now committed to providing choral services to the France commemorative events until 2019. Next year this will include 30 choristers performing in Villers-Bretonneux and Bullecourt in April, with 16 choristers performing in Pozieres and Fromelles in July.
Under One Sky: Our youngest performers brought home how wonderful singing really is, while being a way to bring communities together when our Piccolos and Kids performed with the world-reknown African Children’s Choir in June. (Pic below is from the Northside Chronicle, June).
State Library of Queensland Anzac project: Voices of Birralee was successful in its application for a grant to take part in the State Library of Queensland’s Q ANZAC100: Memories for a New Generation Historypin project. The audio visual project was completed between July – December, with 25 media clips captured which involved choristers across the Resonance of Birralee, Birralee Blokes and Birralee Kids ensembles. It was a fantastic opportunity to encourage Birralee’s community to talk about Queensland’s involvement in WW1, particularly with Voices of Birralee’s commitment to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs for the next four years. Check out the collection here.
Birralee Blokes head to Perth: A highlight for the Birralee Blokes was their trip to Perth in early October to be a special guest choir at the Bunbury Male Voices Festival. This was a significant trip for our Blokes, and one of the many highlights from the trip included swimming with dolphins! The Blokes also delighted the locals, and this included performing at the local shopping centre.
The Birralee Singers’ Tassie trip: One of our other tour highlights was when our Birralee Singers headed to Tasmania. They got the chance to work with one of Birralee’s favourite composers, Paul Jarman, and with other choirs including the Crescendo Children’s Choir, Devonport, St Michael’s Collegiate and The Friends School in Hobart. Our choristers also had some time for site-seeing which included the suspension bridge in the Cataract Gorge, Launceston.
20th Anniversary Concert: Of course, our 20th Anniversary Concert was a massive highlight with such great performances from all of our ensembles! We loved celebrating with our community, while reflecting on all the wonderful events of the past 20 years!
Of course there was more that we squeezed into the year! Check out our massive list below:
- Crossing Countries, Resonance of Birralee, Saint Andrew’s Uniting Church, Brisbane
- BBV Twin Waters Camp, Brisbane Birralee Voices, Twin Waters Resort
- Citizenship Ceremony, Birralee Blokes, Brisbane City Hall
- Marist Concert, Brisbane Birralee Voices & Blokes, Marist College Ashgrove
- Harmony Day Festival & Garage Sale, VoB HQ at Bardon
- Tribute to Anzac Concert, Anzac Commemoration Choir, Redlands Performing Arts Centre
- Dedication Service, Anzac Commemoration Choir, Ithaca Room, City Hall
- Anzac Tour 2015, Anzac Commemoration Choir, France
- PRAC Dinner Performance, Brisbane Birralee Voices, GOMA
- Cupcake & Cushion Concert Piccolos, Kids & Singers, Old Museum Building
- Side by Side Concert, Resonance & Blokes Holy Family Church, Indooroopilly
- Saturday Singers at QYMA, Saturday Birralee Singers, The Gap State High School
- Kids at QYMA, Birralee Kids, The Gap State High School
- Thursday Singers at QYMA, Thursday Birralee, Singers The Gap State High School
- Voices at QYMA, Brisbane Birralee Voices, The Gap State High School
- Kirby Shaw Workshop, Resonance of Birralee, Alans Billy Hyde, Windsor
- When You Believe Concert, Birralee Singers, All Hallows’ School
- Under One Sky: African Children’s Choir, Birralee Piccolos & Kids, Powerhouse Theatre
- Home & Away Concert, Blokes & BBV, Old Museum
- Armed Man Project, Resonance of Birralee, Gehrmann Theatre, BGGS
- Citizenship Ceremony, BBV, Brisbane City Hall
- Paul Phoenix Workshop, Birralee Blokes, VoB HQ Bardon
- Sounds of Spring Concert, Birralee Singers, The Gap State High School
- Young Voices Festival 10th Anniversary, Birralee Piccolos & Kids, All Hallows’ School
- Singers Tasmania Tour, Birralee Singers, Tasmania
- River Symposium Gala Dinner, Resonance of Birralee, Brisbane Convention Centre
- Bunbury Festival Tour, Birralee Blokes Bunbury, WA
- 20th Anniversary Concert, All Ensembles, QPAC
- Lord Mayor’s Lighting of the Christmas Tree, Birralee Singers, King George Square
- Lord Mayor’s Carols in the City, Birralee Singers & BBV, Brisbane Riverstage
- Queensland Ballet Nutcracker, Birralee Singers & BBV, Queensland Performing Arts Centre
- Spirit of Christmas, Birralee Singers, BBV, Resonance, Blokes, Queensland Performing Arts Centre
What was your highlight of 2015? Let us know by commenting below or emailing your pics and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.