Saturday 20 April
Today Birralee were treated to a wonderfully warm day in Paris, and we warmed up as we ate a quick breakfast at FIAP.
We split into special security groups (led by our adult staff) for the day and left early, many combining with others to spend the day exploring the ‘city of love’.
A range of exciting places were explored, from iconic landmarks to galleries and districts! Some Birralee groups went into the Galleries Lafayette to experience the wonder of this six floor deluxe shopping centre. Whilst the rather expensive stores like Gucci and Chanel were great to window-shop, some singers bought a few (cheaper) trinkets and goods as mementos. Some also went to the famous galleries of Paris, including the Louvre, Musée D’Orsay, and L’Orangerie.
Seeing the ‘Mona Lisa’ was pretty amazing to those who braved the lines and crowds for the Louvre, and L’Orangerie, featuring Monet’s ‘Water Lillies’ was incredible!
Some other chorister highlights were:
- Thrifting at the ‘KILO’ shop (Tony and Ally’s group)
- Snacking on macarons (Josh and Justine’s group)
- Going people watching in Saint-Germain with Viennese hot chocolate (Ally’s group)
- Experiencing the Van Gogh exhibit at the Lumière Gallery (Tilley’s group)
- Going on a TukTuk (Rochelle’s group)
- Climbing the Eiffel Tower (Ruth’s group)
- The amazing food selection, including blue cheese and strawberries at the Galleries Lafayette restaurant (Bryer and Leader group who wish to be called ‘Team Spicy’ and also want their red berets recognised)
As part of the cultural experience, we also saw the Gendarme everywhere and all of the boarded up shops along the Champs Élysées due to the Yellow vest riots.
Overall, it was such a fulfilling day, seeing the various sights of this wonderful city.
Some choristers and staff have promised to return to continue learning and loving French culture, one day in the future.
We invite you to keep following our journey of this epic Europe tour!
Receive the daily posts direct to your inbox by subscribing to this blog – head to the bottom right of this page and click ‘follow’ then enter your email address.
#vobanzac2019 #vobeurope2019 #voicesofbirralee